Thursday, November 26, 2009

a load of old bobbins



This weekend I went to an exhibition in Lille called "sur-le-fil: deviance et textiles." I would like to share it with you because it brightened my day and lifted my spirits in a way that only the artistic manifestations of obscure passions can. I hope it will do the same for you.

I love being reminded of the diversity of eccentricities that exist in the world. I want to believe that there will always be things that can surprise me and people who devote their lives to crafting strange and fantastical things from various textile materials reassure me that this is indeed possible.

A few favourites...

Knitter of superhero costumes Mark Newport

Crocheting sweaters for the amelioration of taxidermied animals Elaine Bradford

"Using a sewing needle instead of a hypodermic needle," reformed drug addict Ray Materson creates startlingly intense and photo realistic embroidery patches


Follow your dreams and don't let anyone tell you you're ridiculous - the world is a happier place that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment